Sunday, June 5, 2011

SEE you later?


While ingesting a delicious spicy vegetable soup at Two Rooms this Saturday, I was leafing through the most recent SEE magazine, Edmonton's alternative weekly. It wasn't until I finished reading Scott Lingley's article "The Life Of An Alternative Weekly" that I realized that this was the farewell edition of SEE! As I have been sequestered in the north and had no idea that SEE magazine was nearing a close, I have now accepted my new status as ignoramus.

So in a eulogizing attempt to capture my sentiments I will say to SEE, I'm lost without you.

I'll miss your provocative covers and broad-spectrum listings. You represent for me what Edmonton has to offer. You always did my homework for me so I always knew where to go, what to eat, and what to wear. Without you, I've been stripped of my ticket into B-list events. How will I feel good about myself without knowing what obscure jazz trio is playing at the Yardbird or which dive is hosting open stage this Tuesday? How will I know where the best place to eat in town is and which bar on Whyte ave to boycott because of graffiti vandalism scandals? How will I not feel bad about myself every week when I can't finish your crossword because it's too hard? Who will photograph me for the April 10th, 2008 section of My Look? (is shameless self promotion frowned upon?) And lastly, how will I turn my nose up to VUE now that I know you have merged after so many years of rivalry?

Goodbye SEE, I wish I could say I'll see you around, but hey, without the magazine to dictate to me where the cool places are, I will have no idea which hip spot you'll turn up at.

~Single Tear

1 comment:

  1. Well put. Lots of people miss SEE. Thanks for articulating it so well.

    ReplyDelete